Mold Health Hazards

Learn Hold mold can affect you and your family and be prepared

Health

Health problems associated with Mold

When dealing with mold indoors it is important to take note that the spores which fly around are not harmful, unless they make contact with a moist surface and begin to grow. In such cases, molds can potentially have far-reaching effects on the health of those living in the house or building. Mold and mold spores landing on moist surfaces are the leading cause of allergies. This is because molds produce irritants and allergens.

Interestingly, many molds also carry with them mycotoxins which are potentially toxic substances. For those who are sensitive to allergies, simply touching or inhaling molds could trigger reactions. These reactions can vary from simple hay-fever type symptoms such as a runny nose and sneezing to more severe reactions such as skin rashes. Allergic reactions as a result of contact with molds are very common and they can either be delayed or can show up immediately. In many of the extremely severe cases, molds have been known to trigger asthma attacks in people suffering from asthmatic problems. Additionally, mold exposure for those who are sensitive can also irritate the skin, eyes, throat, and lungs.

There are a wide variety of different molds which feature a range of colors from white and brown to black and green. Each mold has its own effect on the people with which it comes into contact with whether that person has allergies or not. The research into the effects of mold on the human body is still continuing and results are not conclusive.

 

Can mold affect people?

Having mold in your home is not a problem, the mold is natural and forms part of every natural process. Mold does, however, become dangerous when the spores which are produced come into contact with damp or wet surfaces. At this point, the mold begins to grow. Growing molds, especially black mold, has the potential to cause serious health problems, especially for those who have compromised immune systems. Black mold treatment in your home needs to be effective and mold removal will need to kill mold as well as the resulting spores.

There have also been reported cases of people who are not allergic to mold having reactions to mold. Some of the most common symptoms of mold exposure include a running nose, teary eyes, and nasal irritation. Some of the more severe reaction people can have from mold includes fever and breathing problems. Those who have seriously compromised immune systems may even develop very serious lung problems and diseases. While we are aware of the effects that contact with mold could have on a person, we are unable to predict exactly how serious each person’s reaction will be. Some of those who have severe reactions to mold may even find that certain types of molds and mildew have a very little effect on them.

The components of mold spores are irritants and have the ability to cause allergic reactions. In some cases, such as at times when you are dealing with black mold, the spores have the ability to produce toxic substances. To find out if you are dealing with black mold you will need to test for black mold. Removing black mold can be difficult and you will need to enlist the services of a mold company. Certified mold inspectors will be able to help you in cleaning up mold-affected areas. Before doing this, these mold professionals will be able to help you in checking for mold. Mold professionals specialize in mold elimination especially black mold treatment. Commercial mold remediation will take considerably longer than residential mold treatment. Residential mold treatment will also consist of mold and mildew removal.

Many people have reported that simply touching mold can cause them to have a reaction. These reactions can vary from mild sneezing to fever-like symptoms. While some people experience a reaction immediately other may have delayed reactions. Additionally, reaction to mold could also result in asthmatic attacks in those who suffer from asthma. If you suspect that you may have inhaled mold spores you will need to consult your healthcare professional.

Affect of mold to Asthmatic people

Considering that mold is a microscopic fungus or animal matter, the effect on asthmatic people could be significant. Asthma suffers should avoid being exposed as much as possible, this means that constant care should be taken in the high-risk areas of the home like kitchens and bathrooms even basements. You would never be able to eliminate mold as its been on the planet way before we have and will always be here.

Mold In AC

Mold in air duct tunnel

A Runny Nose

Sneezing

Coughing and Wheezing

Water, red, itchy eyes

Skin Irritation and rashes

Effects

The health effect of mold in home

The Institute of Medicine released guidelines in 2009 which showed that there is enough evidence to link exposure to dangerous molds with serious respiratory problems such as chronic coughing and excessive wheezing in people who would otherwise be healthy. The report, however, did not contain any credible pieces of evidence which proved that mold was the result of conditions such as asthma and bronchitis.

Toxic mold is a term that is used to describe the kinds of mold that produce mycotoxins, which is the poisonous by-product of the particular mold’s synthesis process. The precise condition or circumstances in which certain molds produce these mycotoxins are not clearly understood. For example, the presence of so-called “toxic mold” does not mean that these toxins are being produced and also the presence of mold does not mean that it is toxic mold.

Mold in itself does not cause any health-related problems for people but mold does contribute to the allergic contents of the air we breathe, meaning that the presence of mold may lead to an increase in allergic reactions of certain people who are susceptible to allergens in the air.

TESTIMONIALS

What People Are Saying

We discovered that our 12 year old girl is allergic to mold so we had to take care of it ASAP. Thanks to Express Mold Services and their fast team we took control of the situation before it got any worse.

Theresa Young

Extra Space

We were extremely worried about our family's health when we discovered large quantity of mold areas during small renovations. We call Express Mold services and they came right away and took care of it in a fast professional manner and we could get back to our home in a relevantly short time.

Ada Smith

We're Here To Help!

Office

1235 Divi St. #1000
San Francisco, CA 94143

Hours

M-F: 8am - 10pm
S-S: Closed

Call Us

(235) 396-0987